The most interesting of
these Anatolian suburbs from the point of view of historical monuments is
Uskudar. which lies directly opposite the Golden Horn.
Uskudar was anciently known
as Chrysopolis, the City of Gold. Chrysopolis was, in antiquity, a sort of
suburb of the neighboring and more important town of Chalcedon, the
modern Kadikoy, now, itself, a suburb of the great city across the strait.
The ferry landing is
dominated on the left by a stately mosque on a high terrace. It takes its
name, Iskele Camii, from the ferry landing itself. This mosque was built in
1547 by Sinan for Mihrimah Sultan, daughter of Suleyman the Magnificent
and wife of the Grand Vezir Rustem Pasa.
Passing the fountain and
entering the main street of Uskudar we soon come on the left to a
supermarket housed in the remains of an ancient hamam. A little farther on
is an ancient and curious mosque built by Nisanci Kara
Davut Pasa toward
the end of the fifteenth century.
Across the street and
opening into the square is the large complex of Yeni
Valide Camii, built
between 1708 and 1710 by Ahmet III and dedicated to his mother, the Valide
One reaches the precincts of
one of Sinan's most delightful smaller kuliyes, that of
Semsi Pasa Camii,
which attracts the attention as one approaches Uskudar by boat because of
its picturesqueness and the whiteness of its stone. Located just at the waters
edge, it was built by Sinan for the Vzir Semsi Pasa in 1580.
Another ancient mosque half
way up a low hill to the left is the mosque of Mehmet Pasa, built in
A Baroque mosque, known as
Ayazma Camii, built in 1760 by Sultan Mustafa
III and dedicated to his mother, is one of the more successful of the baroque mosques, especially
on the exterior.
The Ahmediye mosque and medrese, built in 1722 by Eminzade Haci Ahmet Pasa, comptroller of the
Arsenal under Ahmet III is also located in Uskudar.
The great kulliye of
Valide Camii was built by Sinan in 1583 for Nur Banu Sultan, wife of Selim
II and mother of Murat III. This is the most splendid and extensive of all
Sinan's constructions in Istanbul with the sole exception of the